Working with a Fiscal Employer Agent
If you, or your adult child, is new to the adult long-term support system, you may not be familiar with Fiscal Employer Agents (FEA). This fact sheet will help you understand the important role a fiscal employer agent plays as you create a system of supports that allows you to live a full life.
In this document “you” means the IRIS or Family Care participant. We know many parents, family members or caregivers also participate in guiding and supporting adults with disabilities to make decisions.
Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs) are the doorway into Wisconsin’s long-term support system. Once you are found eligible by your ADRC, you will be asked to choose from one of these three long-term care programs:
- Family Care, dhs.wisconsin.gov/familycare
- Family Care Partnership, dhs.wisconsin.gov/familycare/fcp-index.htm
- IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct), dhs.wisconsin.gov/iris
CHOOSING A FISCAL EMPLOYER AGENT
If you enroll in the IRIS Program, you will need to choose from one of Wisconsin’s four FEAs. Your IRIS consultant can assist you with this process and answer your questions about the role of the FEA. Check this list to find an IRIS contact dhs.wisconsin.gov/iris/directory.htm. If you enroll in Family Care, a fiscal employer agent may be needed if you decide to self-direct your supports.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM MY FISCAL EMPLOYER AGENT?
Your FEA supports you as you hire and maintain direct care workers. They are the fiscal intermediary, or go-between, for you and your caregivers. Your FEA is responsible for:
- Completing background checks for the workers you hire.
- Processing payroll for all of your direct care workers.
- Managing the amount of federal and state taxes to take out of your workers’ checks.
- Helping you with other employer tasks.
- Processing any cost share you may owe as part of your care plan.
- Paying vendors for services provided, the IRIS or Family Care enrollee.
- Reimbursing you, or your family, for goods or supplies included and authorized in your care plan.
WHICH FISCAL EMPLOYER AGENTS WORK WITH THE IRIS PROGRAM?
Currently, if you are enrolled in Wisconsin’s IRIS Program, you can choose from four FEAs. All of these FEAs can assist participants living in any Wisconsin county. The agencies are:
- GT Independence, web: gtindependence.com, phone: 877.659.4500, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- iLife, web: ilifefinancialmanagement.com, phone: 888.800.5599, email: Info@iLIFEfms.com
- Outreach Health Services, web: outreachhealth.com/wi, phone: 715.494.9440, email: email@example.com
- Premier Financial Management Services, web: premier-fms.com, phone: 855.224.5810, email: IRIS@premier-fms.com
ARE THERE FISCAL EMPLOYER AGENTS FOR FAMILY CARE?
Family Care Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) work with a limited number of FEAs. Unless you will be hiring your own direct care workers, you likely will not need a FEA. Your MCO will take care of paying your workers and doing background checks. When you create your plan, your care manager will let you know if a FEA is needed and help you find FEAs in your area.
HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
To get more information about FEAs, go to dhs.wisconsin.gov/iris/fea.htm or contact your FEA’s customer services department. If you are enrolled in IRIS, contact your IRIS consultant or the IRIS Call Center at 888.515.4747. Your county’s ADRC is also a good source of information about programs and services for adults with disabilities in your community.
Thank you gtindependence.com for your financial support for this Family Voices of Wisconsin publication!